The loss of a family member, friend or loved one is difficult enough, without having to deal with the associated paperwork and legal matters required to administer their estate.

If you are an Executor named in a Will or become an Administrator of an intestate estate, you will be known as the deceased person’s Personal Representative. Your responsibilities will include determining the value of the assets in the estate as well as liabilities such as mortgages, loans, credit cards and the like. These values are used to complete the paperwork necessary to apply to the Probate Registry for a Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration. This Grant will allow you to access the assets so that you can pay the debts and expenses of the estate, sell the property (if any) and distribute the proceeds according to the Will or Intestacy Rules.

We can visit you at home and advise you whether or not a Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration will be required and help you with the process of obtaining this. Sometimes it may be appropriate to change the wording of the person’s Will after their death (by Deed of Variation) in order to save inheritance tax or take account of changes in their circumstances, we can help you with this too.

Occasionally a Will establishes a trust for a spouse/civil partner, disabled beneficiary or children under the age of 18. We can advise you on the procedures required when such a trust is established and also provide guidance regarding the running of the trust from year to year.

Many clients come to us because they are too busy or don’t know how to go about dealing with an estate and would prefer to leave this work in the hands of professionals. They welcome the chance to have the advice and help they need in the familiar surroundings of their own homes.